What to Know Before Buying an HVAC Air Filter
HVAC maintenance is vital to ensure your system operates at peak performance. One piece of the process is having a clean air filter. When purchasing an air filter for your HVAC system, there are several important factors you should consider to ensure that you get the right HVAC filter for your needs. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Filter size: Make sure you have the correct measurements for your filter, as different HVAC systems have different requirements. Measuring the size of your current filter or checking your HVAC manual are both good ways to determine the correct size you need.
- Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV): MERV refers to a filter’s ability to capture particles in the air. A high MERV rating is good, but the higher it is, the more restrictive the filter may be on air flow. Your HVAC manual should provide the information you need to know.
- Type of filter: There are several types of filters to choose from, including fiberglass, pleated, washable, and HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters. Consider your specific needs, such as allergies or pets, when deciding which filter to purchase.
- Cost: The cost of air filters can vary greatly depending on the type and MERV rating. Consider your budget when choosing a filter, but also keep in mind that it’s important to replace your filter regularly to keep your HVAC system running efficiently.
- Replacement frequency: Air filters should be replaced regularly, typically every 90 days or so. Consider purchasing filters in bulk to save money in the long run.
- Compatibility with your HVAC system: Make sure the filter you choose is compatible with your HVAC system and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for replacement frequency.
Brackett Heating, Air & Plumbing changes HVAC filters at every maintenance visit. For all your heating and cooling needs, Brackett is the only name to remember. Call our office to schedule an appointment today.