5 Major Factors Affecting Indoor Air Quality
Many homeowners don’t think about indoor air quality (IAQ) as they should. IAQ refers to the quality of air within your home, particularly as it relates to the health and comfort of the occupants. If the air you breathe inside is impure due to contaminants, then your body is full of those same pollutants.
There are a variety of factors that can affect indoor air quality. Let’s consider five of the most common:
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) – One of the biggest factors affecting IAQ is the presence of pollutants and irritants that can be released into the air from various sources, such as cleaning products, paints, carpets, furniture, some beauty products and even some household appliances.
- Ventilation – Good ventilation is critical for maintaining good indoor air quality. Insufficient fresh air and airflow can result in a buildup of indoor contaminants, which adversely affects the air inside.
- Moisture – Too high levels of moisture in the indoor environment can cause mold and mildew to grow. These contaminants release very harmful allergens into the air that can lead to both short- and long-term health concerns from nausea, memory issues and headaches to more serious respiratory and cardiac issues.
- Improperly maintained HVAC systems – Dirty heating and cooling systems release harmful contaminants into the indoor air, which over time affects the health of a home’s occupants. Dirty components also adversely affect the system itself.
- The presence of family pets and outdoor climate – Pets release dander into the air which is breathed in by the humans in the home if left untreated. Additionally, if the area where you live tends to be dry and dusty, those outdoor pollutants are making their way inside whether you see it or not.
Indoor Air Quality Products & Services from Brackett
Poor indoor air quality isn’t a lost cause. Brackett Heating, Air & Plumbing offers a variety of IAQ products to clean contaminants from the air inside your home, making the air you breathe as pure and healthy as possible.
Call Brackett today and have one of our Comfort Specialists show you how we can help.