Do Mini-Splits Need to Be Serviced?
If you’ve heard of a ductless mini-split for heating or cooling, you may be wondering if these compact HVAC systems require servicing. The answer is a resounding “yes.”
Mini-split heat pumps require regular maintenance to ensure they operate efficiently and effectively. Neglecting mini-split service opens the door for lost energy, wasted money on higher utility costs, expensive or more frequent repairs and possibly even a complete system failure.
Some common maintenance tasks include cleaning or replacing the air filters, checking the refrigerant levels and cleaning the outdoor condenser unit.
The professionals at Brackett Heating, Air & Plumbing offer comprehensive maintenance, which also includes mini-split service. HVAC industry experts say it’s best to have a professional inspect the system annually to identify any potential problems and make necessary repairs.
When completing mini-split maintenance, some key checkpoints include:
- Refrigerant in a mini-split is vital in the process of transferring heat from one area to another. A technician will check the refrigerant levels to ensure they are correct, and that there are no leaks.
- Air filters in the indoor units will be checked and cleaned or replaced as needed.
- Evaporator and condenser coils will be inspected and cleaned of any dirt and debris.
- Drain lines will be checked to ensure they’re not clogged and that water is draining properly.
- The compressor will be inspected to ensure it’s operating correctly and not making unusual noises.
- Proper airflow will be checked to ensure it’s at the correct level and balanced.
Proper mini-split maintenance can help prolong the longevity of the equipment and ensure that it’s operating at peak efficiency. HVAC industry standards suggest having the system serviced at least once a year, typically in the spring before the cooling season begins, or fall before the heating season.
Call Brackett Heating, Air & Plumbing today to schedule your mini-split maintenance today.